Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Baking Bread

For the past few months, I have been keeping some yeast I portioned off from my mom alive in my fridge. This requires weekly feedings to maintain the freshness. We went through some french breads and rolls, but I finally found something that makes not only beautiful, but really delicious bread.

The Dutch Oven Bread recipe that I have been consistently using is very easy and can be used with regular boxed yeast. I use an antique cast iron dutch oven that so far, has only had my bread in it. I think any deep pan would do just as well. I'm currently on the hunt for a smaller pot so I can make multiple loaves and give some of the bread to friends on weeks when I know we won't make it through the entire loaf.

Thank goodness that Costco makes 25lbs bags of flour, we go through a lot! Bought the air tight containers at Target, but still having trouble filling them. Perhaps a really large funnel.....



No comments: